[gst-devel] Why does adding ! audiorate screw up audio?

Tom G tomwg123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 21:10:46 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm fairly new to g-streamer and have been unable to understand why
the audio in my pipeline outputs poorly if I add ! audiorate.  I can
reproduce with a very simple gst-launch command line.

gst-launch filesrc location=/tmp/test.flv ! decodebin ! audiorate !
autoaudiosink

That produces audio output that has a constant clicking sound in the
background.  If I remove the ! audiorate element, then it sounds
perfect.

I started working with an existing pipeline that somebody else
designed and am not even confident I should be using the audiorate
element since the normal (non-debug) pipeline outputs to an mpegts.
Why would it screw things up though?  I would have expected the input
audio to already be like a perfect stream and for it to output looking
the same as on input.

Any help is appreciated.

-Tom