write a python source plugin?

Oleksandr Lavrushchenko kpykcb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 17:47:51 PDT 2011

Hi

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Sandino Flores Moreno <tigrux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity:
> Why python and not C or Vala?

First, this usually a question of taste.

Second, i see next reasons for me:

* it's easier to write, i love gst but usually it's C code for me a bit messy;
* easier to debug;
* less worries about memory management: pointers, memory allocation
and freeing, etc.;
* usually i want to prototype something and that's why i want see
results as much as possible, in python code usually much shorter so
faster to write.

If, when code will be working, i see some performance issues, i will
think about rewriting it from scratch in C. But at this point of time
i, at minimum, will have clean understanding how it's must work,
looking on python source.

P.S. I'm not a programmer by education, so addressing  all issues at
one time (C issues, algorithm issues, etc) may become the way to fail.