discoverer, uridecodebin, encodebin and multiple audio streams

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sun Jul 17 03:06:39 PDT 2011

Hi,
I been working on supporting input files with multiple audio streams in
Transmageddon. The test file I am using got two mp3 audio streams which
in a technical level seems to be quite identical. What is not clear to
me is how to interact with them in a useful fashion. Can I assume that
the behaviour of discoverer and uridecodebin is deterministic? ie. the
first stream found by discoverer will be the first stream found by
uridecodebin?

Regardless it would be nice if we could come up with a system where
discoverer could create some kind of unique identifier for each stream
it finds. That way when I am connecting uridecodebin to encodebin or
other elements I can look for the pad with that unique identifier and
connect that, would probably simplify writing applications to handle
this case a lot. If discoverer and uridecodebin where also able to
automatically attach any language information to each stream, based on
tag data etc. that would also be great.

Christian