Transitions with ges-launch not working?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Jul 26 08:07:38 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to combine 2 videos together with a short transition between
the 2 videos. I've been trying with gnonlin for ages (both on command
line and python), and Luis suggest ges-launch (
http://twitter.com/#!/luisbg/status/93648693068169217 ), however it's
just not working for me.

I can use the command to combine the 2 videos, one plays after the other
with no transition. that works fine:

    ges-launch-0.10 vshort01.mov 0 5 vshort02.mov 5 5 -r -o
file:///tmp/foo.mov

This results in a 10 second file that is 5 seconds of the first clip,
and then switches immediatly to 5 seconds of the second clip.

However when I tried to add a short transition between the two, it hangs.:

    ges-launch-0.10 vshort01.mov 0 5 +transition crossfade 2
vshort02.mov 5 5 -r -o file:///tmp/foo.mov

The file foo.mov is 0 bytes, and there is no CPU activity. It just sits
there doing nothing for ages, until I press Control-C on it.

For the record I asked on StackOverflow aswell:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6779992/transitions-with-gstreamer-editing-services-freezes-but-works-ok-without-transit

The original videos (which play fine in gstreamer) are available for
download here (~10MB each):

 * http://www.technomancy.org/download/vshort01.mov
 * http://www.technomancy.org/download/vshort02.mov

I'm using Ubuntu Natty/11.04 and ges0.10-tools 0.10.1-1. I also tried
compiling GES from git recently and got the same results.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Rory