Lossless 16bit gray image rtp stream

Max Rheiner mylgrams at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:02:11 PDT 2011

hi,

i'm new to gstreamer, so i'm wondering if it's possible to make a 16bit
lossless gray channel rtp stream. I did some research and thought about to
use jpeg2000(jp2kenc,rtpj2kpay,etc.), but jp2kenc supports only 8bit grey
images.
Also i checked jpeg-ls(ffenc_jpegls), but with gst-inspect i can't get the
caps, but ffmpeg should support 16bit gray. Sadly i can't get ffenc_jpegls
to work, even the simplest thing doesn't work:

gst-launch --gst-debug=2 videotestsrc !
video/x-raw-rgb,format=RGB3,width=800,height=600,framerate=30/1 !
ffenc_jpegls ! fakesink

gives this error:
basesrc gstbasesrc.c:2574:gst_base_src_loop:<videotestsrc0> error: Internal
data flow error.

What's my mistake here, how should this work ?
But generally do you think jpeg-ls would be a better choice than jpeg2000
for my goal, or maybe i should try to extend jp2kenc to 16bit grey ?

help is highly appreciated,
max