gst123 player - Seek is failing

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 01:29:03 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 12:53 +0530, satish pattar wrote:

> I downloaded gst123 & installed in my Ubuntu system. then I tried to
> play a mp3 file. it plays fine but
>
> seek is always failing (gst_element_seek is returning false)
>
> The same thing works in another Linux box.
>
> What could be the problem ?

Hard to say without more information.

Does seeking work with the same file(s) in totem or rhythmbox?

Maybe you need to install the mp3parse/mpegaudioparse elements because
your mp3 decoder doesn't support seeking? Depending on your version of
the GStreamer stack, these might be in gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-ugly
or gst-plugins-good. Or you could try installing the 'mad' mp3 decoder.

 Cheers
  -Tim