Deadlock when calling gst_pad_pause_task going from PLAYING to PAUSE state

pierre gousseau pgousseau at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 08:38:08 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I am writing my own plugin for a live audio/video source hardware, it has 1 ALWAYS video pad and 1 SOMETIMES audio pad.

In my test application I connect to an xvimagesink and an alsasink.

When i close the window i exit the main loop and set the pipeline state to NULL.

In my plugin when going from PLAYING to PAUSE i call gst_pad_pause_task on each pad.

The gst_pad_pause_task call for the audio pad is locked in GST_PAD_STREAM_LOCK

The task for the audio pad is locked in gst_base_sink_wait_preroll call within the gst_pad_push call

Shouldnt gst_pad_pause_task be called when changing PLAYING to PAUSE ?

Should i push/send a special event on the pad before calling gst_pad_xxx_task function ?

Is there principle to follow to ensure no deadlocks when calling a gst_pad_xxx_task function ?

Thanks for your help,

Pierre