Autoplugging

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Jun 17 09:43:33 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 06/15/11 14:29, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I want to write a video player that supports as many formats as
> possible but, unlike totem etc, supports vdpau and/or vaapi. I could
> hardwire code paths to choose suitable demuxers for mkv, mp4 etc but
> what about formats I don't think of in advance?
>
> The manual's chapter on autoplugging basically says the information in
> it is inaccurate and outdated and one should just use playbin or
> decodebin, but I don't think you can use vdpau or vaapi with those. Even
> if the information didn't have that disclaimer, it's distinctly lacking
> in implementation details.

Just read the docs anyway including docs/design/*.txt. Autoplugging is
not magic, just use signals to get notified about new pads, check the
caps and search the registry for compatible elements. Sort the elements
by rank and ignore those with rank=0.

It might be better in the long run to figure whats the issue with
playbin2 and vaapi/vdpau and make sure we can fix it in 0.10 or at least
in 0.11/1.0.

Stefan