Installing gstreamer-plugins-bad on Ubuntu

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Thu Jun 23 10:02:34 PDT 2011

On 11-06-23 9:32 AM, William Metcalf wrote:

I recently download the source for gst-plugins-bad-0.10.22 from the
gstreamer website. After download the source folder, I ran ./configure
in the main directory of the folder, then ran make, then ran make
install.  As far as I know I did not get any errors doing any of these
steps.  However, when I go run gst-inspect from terminal, I do not see
any of the elements which were included in this plug-in.  Is there
another step that I must do to get the elements working in terminal, or
did I miss some steps during the installation?

If your source download is because you are missing plugins from the
distributed version then I would first ask if you know that
gstplugins-bad is split across 2 packages as distributed by Ubuntu - a
filtered listing from my Ubuntu 10.04 system follows:

dev64:~$ dpkg -l | grep gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
0.10.18-1ubuntu1                                GStreamer plugins from
the "bad" set
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-doc
0.10.18-1ubuntu1                                GStreamer documentation
for plugins from the "bad" se
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
0.10.18-0ubuntu1                                GStreamer plugins from
the "bad" set (Multiverse Vari

If you are missing the gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse package then
that may be the simple solution for you.

Building just one component from source is going to be a problem because
you have to mesh with the rest of the gstreamer install performed by the
Ubuntu installation because the gstreamer libraries are released as a
set. To accomplish this you need to either check the version Ubuntu
releases and use that source version or install an all new version.
There is a PPA of the latest gstreamer for Ubuntu that saves trying to
compile all of gstreamer if newer than released versions are required.
Just running ./configure with no parameters will install it in
/usr/local not /usr and therefore will not be found by the Ubuntu
portion of the install.

If what I am saying is obvious to you then my apologies, I don't know
your experience level.