Autovideosink not working on Ubuntu

William Metcalf WMetcalf at niftytv.com
Tue Jun 28 09:01:59 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I just installed gstreamer on Ubuntu and I am trying to do a simple test of the elements.  I am running the command gst-launch videotestsrc ! autovideosink, but I get the following errors:

root at wmetcalf-desktop:/home/wmetcalf/Desktop/gst-plugins-good-0.10.30# gst-launch videotestsrc ! autovideosink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0: Resource not found.
Additional debug info:
gstautovideosink.c(314): gst_auto_video_sink_find_best (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSink:autovideosink0:
Failed to find a usable video sink
Pipeline is PREROLLED ...
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock

Can somebody please give me some context on what is happening here and how to fix it?

Thank you for your help,
William