Use of mpeg4videoparse and h264parse in a commercial product

Cedric Hombourger chombourger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:21:15 PDT 2011

Hi,

Building a Linux-based commercial multimedia system, we have selected GStreamer as the foundation framework for audio and video playback. We have requirements to support MPEG4 and H.264 and have contracted 3rd party GStreamer codecs. These codecs unfortunately expect complete frames while GStreamer demux typically deliver smaller packets. To work-around this, we have added mpeg4videoparse and h264videoparse in the pipelines and have not observed any issues so far during our testing. We were however wondering why these plugins are (still) in the -bad plugin collection. Do you see any obstacles to the use of these plugins in a commercial product?

Thanks
Cedric