RELEASE: GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.18 "Extra Life"
t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue May 10 10:52:42 PDT 2011
This mail announces the release of GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.18
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that have good quality and
correct functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The
license on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be
how we'd like. The code might be widely known to present patent
Highlights of this release:
- x264enc: allow changing bitrate and quantizers dynamically at runtime
- x264enc: proxy downstream caps restrictions upstream via get_caps()
- lamemp3enc: proxy downstream rate/channels restrictions upstream via get_caps()
- mad: allow build without libid3tag (which isn't really needed anyway)
- many other fixes and improvements
For more information, see
To file bugs, request features or submit patches, please go to
MD5 sums (for tarballs downloaded from gstreamer.freedesktop.org):
-------------- next part --------------
Release notes for GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.18 "Extra Life"
The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins.
The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.
It is not API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.8.x series.
It is, however, parallel installable with the 0.8.x series.
"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
There are times when the world needs a color between black and white.
Quality code to match the good's, but two-timing, backstabbing and ready to
sell your freedom down the river. These plug-ins might have a patent noose
around their neck, or a lock-up license, or any other problem that makes you
think twice about shipping them.
We don't call them ugly because we like them less. Does a mother love her
son less because he's not as pretty as the other ones ? No - she commends
him on his great personality. These plug-ins are the life of the party.
And we'll still step in and set them straight if you report any unacceptable
behaviour - because there are two kinds of people in the world, my friend:
those with a rope around their neck and the people who do the cutting.
This module contains a set of plug-ins that have good quality and correct
functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The license
on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd
like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.
Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins.
Other modules containing plug-ins are:
contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our preferred license
contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't passed the
rigorous quality testing we expect
Features of this release
* amrwbdec: avoid stalling on invalid frame
* asfpacket: don't rely on data from duration extension
* dvdsubdec: Implement clipping if the video size is smaller than the subpicture size
* dvdsubdec: Output only a single buffer per subpicture and set the correct duration
* lamemp3enc: implement sinkpad get_caps() function to proxy rate and channels restrictions from downstream
* mad: build the mad plugin even if libid3tag is not available
* mpeg2dec: do not fail fatally when downstream is unlinked (let upstream handle that)
* mpeg2dec: don't deadlock when setting an index
* mpegstream: increase allowable gap between streams
* x264enc: allow changing the bitrate and quantitizers dynamically
* x264enc: don't register flags with a value of 0
* x264enc: implement getcaps function to proxy downstream caps restrictions upstream
* x264enc: make tag event writable before modifying tag list in place
* x264enc: set max bitrate in quality mode
Bugs fixed in this release
* 539708 : [mpegstream] Increase allowable gap between streams
* 607698 : asfdemux: fix parsing of packets with padding
* 619136 : [dvdsubdec] spits out buffers at video framerate
* 621663 : x264enc: support changing bitrate property on the fly
* 639291 : [xingmux] Return NULL instead of 0 for a function returning gboolean
* 639715 : amrparse: seek error with EOS
* 640272 : x264enc: make tag event writable before modifying tag list in place
* 641151 : lame: doesn't negotiate sample rate properly
* 642360 : x264enc: Don't register flags which have 0 as a value
* 644704 : [dvdsubedc] no SPU clipping implemented
* 647709 : mpeg2dec: errors out on not-linked flow return
You can find source releases of gst-plugins-ugly in the download directory:
More details can be found on the project's website:
Support and Bugs
We use GNOME's bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests:
GStreamer is stored in Git, hosted at git.freedesktop.org, and can be cloned from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plug-ins, and applications should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list. If there is sufficient interest we
will create more lists as necessary.
Contributors to this release
* Brendan Le Foll
* Edward Hervey
* Luis de Bethencourt
* Mark Nauwelaerts
* Miguel Angel Cabrera Moya
* Olivier Crête
* Sebastian Dröge
* Sjoerd Simons
* Stefan Kost
* Thibault Saunier
* Tim-Philipp Müller
* Vincent Penquerc'h
* Yang Xichuan
More information about the gstreamer-devel