autogen.sh in gst-template gives error

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue May 17 06:02:20 PDT 2011

Hi,

Am 16.05.2011 23:56, schrieb Alex Song:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to gstreamer and I'm trying to write a plugin. I started according to
> "Plugin Writer's Guide" and downloaded gst-template. But when I did
>

> ./auto-gen.sh
>
> I got
>
> src/Makefile.am:6: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
> src/Makefile.am:6:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
> src/Makefile.am:6:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
> src/Makefile.am:6:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
> src/Makefile.am:6:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
> src/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
> Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
> autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
> autogen.sh failed
>
> I tried installing libtool 2.2.6b to /usr/local and tried to put
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL to configure.ac but they didn't help.

It would be better to install the libtool package from your distribution. If you
install it yourself to /usr/local chances are small that aclocal will pick up
the libtool.m4.

As an alternative you could get yourself the gst-plugin-bad package from git and
try gst-element-maker, this will take over gst-template (yes, the docs shall be
fixed).

Stefan