problems creating a live stream with AAC using rtp to quicktime player

Eric Shoquist eshoquist at trellisware.com
Fri May 20 12:33:53 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am trying to create a pipeline to stream AAC using rtp, then using
Darwin Streaming Server to relay it to a client's quicktime player. I am
able to do this successfully with video (by itself) with the following
pipeline

   gst-launch -v v4l2src always-copy=false do-timestamp=true \

                num-buffers=$(( 30 * 60 * 5 )) ! \

        video/x-raw-yuv, format=\(fourcc\)UYVY, \

                width=720, height=480, framerate=\(fraction\)30/1 ! \

        TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer \

                rateControlPreset=2 bitRate=512000 iColorSpace=UYVY \

                resolution=720x480 frameRate=30 ! \

        rtph264pay scan-mode=bytestream ! \

        udpsink host=225.1.1.2 auto-multicast=true port=9010

Audio however seems to be a different beast. I've found even when piping
AAC to a filesink, in order for quicktime to play the audio, I have to
use qtmux or mp4mux after the encoding phase.  When I attempt to mimic
my video pipeline for audio like the following:

gst-launch -v alsasrc device=hw:0,0 num-buffers=$((30*60*5)) ! \

        audio/x-raw-int, endianness=1234 ! \

        queue ! \

        TIAudenc1 engineName=codecServer codecName=aacheenc ! \

        qtmux  ! \

        rtpmp4vpay pt=96 ! \

        udpsink host=225.1.1.2 port=9010 auto-multicast=true

The pipeline doesn't play - I get errors linking mp4mux to rtpmp4apay
(caps don't match). Using gst-inspect I see that qtmux has only 1 src -
video/quicktime, and when looking at the rtpmp4 plugins none of them
take that as a sink. So I'm unclear how I can stream the audio with rtp.
Is there a different mux I can use that doesn't put out video/quicktime,
but still works with quicktime player? Or is there some other plugins to
use between qtmux and one of the rtpmp4[a,v,g]pay plugins that will
convert the caps to video/mpeg?

Thanks

eric