Get v4l2src width and height before pipeline runs?

wally_bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 06:48:38 PDT 2011

Kapil Agrawal wrote:

> Just a thought, may not be realted to this specific issue of yours
> Writing your own gstreamer plugin to do image processing stuff would make
> it more cleaner and better.
>
> like v4l2src ! ffmpegcolorspace ! your_image_processing_plugin !
> xvimagesink ?
>
> Best
> - Kapil

If you go way back in the archives, I debated this initially as appsrc and
appsink were not part of the gstreamer shipped with Ubuntu 8.04.

The main reason I ended up going with appsrc/appsink is I'm quickly
approaching retirement and found the process of downloading the template and
getting the build environment working to build a plugin way too complicated
and poorly documented to foist upon my replacement.

Appsrc/appsink lets me build a "normal" application, although there still
are a lot of obscure bits to be installed, their installation can be largely
automated with dpkg --set-selections and dpkg --get-selections

I did write a plugin for Avidemux to to be the "front end" for our offline
processing, since gstreamer can't play the VOB files from a stand-alone
DVD-R box.

There is no doubt that V4L2 is more of a problem than a solution as its a
very poor abstraction exposing almost all the weirdness of the underlying
hardware.  Using libv4l2 helps a lot.