PySide and PyGST on Microsoft Windows

jech vladovi at atlas.cz
Wed Nov 9 09:55:47 PST 2011

Hi Josh,

I'd like to respond to your post regarding getting PySide and PyGST on
Windows to work.

I checked your sample and except of some warnings it works fine. I'm working
on a music player with QML user interface. I tried MPlayer and Phonon as
backends for my player but both of them have some major problems. So I would
like to use GStreamer because it seems to be the best backend available.

But I have problem to create an audio player. I've never used GStreamer
before and I'm a little lost.

I found it is possible to do something like this:
self.player = gst.element_factory_make("playbin2", "player")
fakesink = gst.element_factory_make("fakesink", "fakesink")
self.player.set_property("video-sink", fakesink)
self.player.set_property("uri", "file:/c:\\Python27\\_tests\\Friends.ogg") #
I had to put only 1 slash after file:
self.player.set_state(gst.STATE_PLAYING)

But what about the next file in my playlist? I need to get the "about to
finish" signal and add a new track to list before the actual track ends. But
I don't know how to do it. Could you advice me, please?