How SDP/RTSP works? (still confused)

ibrahim suliman iss_kh at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 03:26:41 PST 2011

Dear,

I would like firstly to tell that I am new to this.
What I need is to stream over RTP/RTSP and use SDP for communicating the stream information. After reading about this I find out that it is possible to run a Gstreamer H264 stream and using RTSP, SDP file can be sent so that the client can receive the stream using the information in this file only. Is this right?

After long time searching, I found the example "test-sdp.c" at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/

So I try firstly to run this
gst-launch v4l2src ! video/x-raw-yuv, width=640, hight=480, framerate=30/1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! x264enc ! rtph264pay ! udpsink port=5000 host=127.0.0.1

while this is running, I run the RTSP server:
./test-sdpsdpfile.sdp

I created sdpfile.sdp already based on the gstreamer stream. (Where am I supposed to put this file, at the server or client machines?)

at the client:
vlc rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/test

but it didn't work for me! Am I dong right here? or there is something I don't understand....
I also would like to ask you about these lines at test-sdp.c

str = g_strdup_printf ( "( filesrc location=%s ! sdpdemux name=dynpay0 )", argv[1]);
  gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch (factory, str);

how I should understand it? I spent a lot of time thinking about it but it seem nothing works! Thank you...

Kind regards

Ibra