How to play mpeg4 dump (in a fifo)

Nezer Zaidenberg nezer at videocells.com
Mon Nov 28 03:34:46 PST 2011

Hi All,

I have a live source (webcam) that I want to record continuously without
losing any video - but also be able to playback everything up to the last
minute. I am trying to dump the video to a fifo and then record it from the
fifo one minute at a time.

The problem is that it seems there is a problem with the timestamps. It
looks like gstreamer expects a clock to be supplied by the filesrc but that
doesn't happen.
Specifically when I try to play the pipe instead of record it, I get choppy
video and a warning is emitted about the timestamps.

Does anyone know how I could record an mpeg stream from a fifo?

For reference, here are the pipelines:
source pipe:
gst-launch rtspsrc location="<webcam>" ! rtpmp4vdepay ! filesink
location=pipe

record pipe:
gst-launch filesrc location=pipe ! 'video/mpeg, mpegversion=4,
systemstream=false, width=320, height=240. framerate=(fraction)30/1,
codec_data=...' ! matroskamux ! filesink location="1.mkv"

play pipe:
gst-launch filesrc location=pipe ! 'video/mpeg, mpegversion=4,
systemstream=false, width=320, height=240. framerate=(fraction)30/1,
codec_data=...' ! ffdec_mpeg4 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! autovideosink

Thanks,
  Tomer & Nezer