Bad OGG being generated by gstreamer?

mike3 mike4ty4 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 14:53:07 PST 2011

Hi.

I was trying to use gstreamer to record video from a camera, but the "OGGs"
generated seem to have problems. I was using the following command line:

[code]
gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src ! queue ! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=15/1
! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=480 ! ffmpegcolorspace !
theoraenc quality=40 ! oggmux ! filesink location=$FILENAME
[/code]

But when I try to play the created OGGs, they work in some programs but not
in others. (Totem works, "cinelerra" editor fails with garble output, as
does FFmpeg converter) Also, one program (Linux VLC) seems to show the time
length of the video as "--:--".

I tried running some validation programs like oggz-validate and ogginfo on
them, which gave errors respectively of "serialno 1590263088: missing ***
eos" and "WARNING: EOS not set on stream 1". What could be causing the
problem?