Getting V4l2 timestamps from v4l2src?

wally_bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 08:30:28 PDT 2011

Is it possible to get the v4l2 video timestamps from the frames returned to
an appsink via v4l2src?

Looking at some of the gstreamer source code, gst_v4l2src_grab_frame() (in
file v4l2src_calls.c) calls

gst_v4l2_buffer_pool_dqbuf() (in file gstv4l2srcbufferpool.c) which appears
to return a "normal" V4L2_BUF_TYPE_VIDEO_CAPTURE buffer which should have
the timestamp and sequence numbers from the driver accessible with:

seq=buf.sequence;
tod=buf.timestamp.tv_sec%86400+buf.timestamp.tv_usec/1000000.0;

Its the latter I really want (system time turned into time of day in seconds
with uS resolution) so I can attempt to sync video data with an A/D data
stream acquired on the same system, although the sequence number should tell
if any frames are dropped.

I just can't follow the flow of the data in the buffer pool after this to
see if this "meta data" tags along and would be somehow accessible to me or
not.