anyone who can explain more on the difference between segment.abs_rate and segment.abs_applied_rate

bcxa sz bcxa.sz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 20:16:32 PDT 2011

And I also found the explanation from gst_event_new_new_segment_full():
* The @applied_rate value provides information about any rate adjustment that
* has already been made to the timestamps and content on the buffers of the
 * stream. (@rate * @applied_rate) should always equal the rate that has been
 * requested for playback. For example, if an element has an input segment
 * with intended playback @rate of 2.0 and applied_rate of 1.0, it can adjust
 * incoming timestamps and buffer content by half and output a newsegment event
 * with @rate of 1.0 and @applied_rate of 2.0

Can someone explain how and why the rate and applied_rate is changed
in above use case?