Best Settings for X264enc for a Live Stream

Mike Mitchell mike.mitchell at panometric.net
Sun Oct 30 20:41:00 PDT 2011

William,
I can commiserate. I spent days testing various players of h264 streams.
Despite it being a standard, there are a ton of incompatibilities, notable
flash and quicktime. There are surely too many options. I found quicktime
to be the most problematic, additionally windows and osx implementations
were not even the same. It seemed to like the multipass and profile options
were the clincher. These options ended up working well on an HD stream I
was working with. I can encode 1280x720 15 fps with 50% cpu on a modest,
modern embedded PC. I hope that is helpful. The lesson is to test far and
wide to your consumer's platforms, and on a variety of content.

x264enc pass=5 quantizer=22 speed-preset=4 profile=1 ! queue....

*Mike Mitchell*
Principal
Panometric LLC