unknown filesystem type ntfs

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:48:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Pranshu Nahar <pranshu24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
> I am working on Beagleboard.But I can access the files from a FAT32 file
> system pendrive but I am unable to play a pendrive with NTFS filesystem.
>
> I get the following error:"unknown filesystem type ntfs "

FYI, this question is completely unrelated to gstreamer.

There are two ways to access NTFS filesystems on Linux (that I know of):

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

2. There's an in-kernel read-only `ntfs' driver. It's in the mainline
Linux kernel so all you have to do is flip on the config option and
recompile. Or maybe you already have the driver but you haven't loaded
it; try

# modprobe ntfs

But keep in mind that the in-kernel driver is READ ONLY, so if you
want read/write, you MUST use ntfs-3g.
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/

Please try to diagnose your problems first and post them to a relevant
list, as filesystem drivers on embedded systems is a pretty far
stretch away from a media framework...

Sean