metadata stream

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:57:56 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Akristiniy Maxim
<makristiniy at kraftway.ru> wrote:
> Hello, I'm new with gstreamer.
>
> Is it possible to transfer over RTSP/RTP video stream and metadata
> stream (metadata in XML for every video frame + TimeStamps same as have
> every video frame in RTP) with gstreamer ?

this would imply some strong synchronization bw video encoder and
metadata generation. I assume you're going to use key frames only for
whatever encoder.

> If this possible can you give me direction what to do for this?

In theory you can stream text through RTP with something like RFC4396
which is, unfortunately, not implemented in GStreamer (or at least
wasn't the last time I checked, a few months ago). The metadata stream
would then be an additional RTP session.

Besides, I would not recommend the approach you're proposing if more
standard ways are possible: which information would the XML metadata
carry that is not already provided by the transport/network protocols
or the frames themselves?

Regards