GStreamer via PyGObject (introspection)

Tal Liron tal.liron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:29:22 PDT 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 01:59 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 15:44 -0500, Tal Liron wrote:
>
>> Is PyGObject supported by GStreamer?
> It should work in principle, and we certainly want it to work, but
> GStreamer is not an easy library to wrap and it's quite likely you'll be
> hittingn bugs or missing features/annotations in both
> gobject-introspection and GStreamer.

Thanks for the response! Well, consider my report to be a bug report. :)
The main issue seems to be that messages coming in are always None,
which means GI can't be used for anything except the most trivial
GStreamer applications right now.

I hope GI testing can become more intrinsic in GStreamer. It is not only
the way forward in the GNOME world, but it also will vastly simplify the
maintenance of bindings for various languages in GStreamer. More effort
into GI right now will reduce a lot of effort down the line.

The blog that you linked me to is actually farther behind than I am... I
guess I'm the cutting edge. :/

-Tal