Conditional availability of properties

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Sep 16 12:57:14 PDT 2011

On 09/13/11 04:49, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I'm looking at adding the GstStreamVolume interface to pulsesrc since
> PulseAudio 1.0 will support per-source-output volumes. However, there is
> one potential problem here that I believe might raise objections.
>
> The interface (which is really just the "volume" and "mute" properties)
> will only be available if pulsesrc is compiled against PulseAudio 1.0
> since we want to be able to compile against older versions as well.
>
> IMO this isn't a huge problem if we document that users should be
> checking to see if pulsesrc implements the interface before using it
> (this is what I've seen users of pulsesink do as well).
We have some options.

1.) add the properties, if the installed pulseaudio is recent enough
2.) always add the properties and use GstPropertyProbe to signal their
availability
3.) make it and interface and use GstImplementsInterface (which is on
the to-kill list for 0.11)

v4l2src uses 3) currently.

Stefan