GStreamer registry updates at login.

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Fri Sep 16 13:17:38 PDT 2011

On 09/15/11 13:26, freebird wrote:
> Hi, we have several Linux labs all with identical CentOS 6 builds (imaged
> from a master) and NFS mounted homes.
>
> When a user logs in at a different machine from the previous time, it
> appears that the GStreamer registry is flagged as invalid and rebuilt
> resulting in logins taking an additional 40 to 50 seconds before the Gnome
> desktop is presented.  Subsequent logins on the same workstation do not
> update the registry and only take approx 10 secs total.
It would be interesting to understand why gstreamer considers that the
registry needs to be rebuild if the installations are identical. Can you
try to do a shell login and then GST_DEBUG="*:5" gst-inspect 2>debug.log
and if the registry got rebuild file a bug and attach the log.

> Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent Gnome/GStreamer updating the
> registry at login or reduce the time taken or background the task?
There is and env var and a command-line parameter for it, but it would
be good to figure out the why.

Stefan