which docs is valid? (callback vs. signal efficiency?)

wally bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:31:59 PDT 2011

> From: Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk>
> To: gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:22:19 +0100
> Subject: Re: which docs is valid?
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 20:12 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
> > ok so which one should have to used by appsink users?
>
> You can use whichever you prefer (if you're using C, anyway).
>
> The direct callbacks have less overhead of course.
>
>  -Tim

How much less overhead?

I'm using the "signal" method as shown in the appsink-src.c example from the
10.28 Ubuntu source and everything works perfectly on a quad core, but can't
quite keep up on a dual core.  It falls behind slowly enough that our
longest recording are still OK, but it messes up my attempt at putting a
text overlay on each frame  -- eventually the latter overlays appear on
earlier frames.

I'd been going through the docs when I saw this, I'm having a bit of trouble
setting up the GstAppSinkCallbacks structure.  Do I put NULL for the
callbacks I don't want? (which is all but "new-buffer")