Advise regarding multiple sources

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Apr 2 11:59:36 PDT 2012

Hello,

   So I have an existing program. It reads from a network camera and
records the stream. It for the most part doesn't encode the stream prior
to saving it, it simply depays, and then a tee allows one branch to then
decode and display it, the other branch goes into a muxer to filesink.
This all works wonderfully.

   Now we're hoping to read from multiple rtsp streams simultaneously
and essentially do the same thing. The cameras we read from are in a
single room so the audio from each is hopefully 'in sync' and identical.
The biggest caveat here is that the devices are netbooks so very low
power (thus the non-re-encoding)...

   I'm writing to get some advice about how to proceed. So there are a
few ways I can think of doing this.

1) Save each stream to individual files and then on playback somehow
play into the same window. I would also then display both streams in a
single window while recording

2) Save the streams into one file as additional internal media. I'm not
sure if a mp4/mkv file that has multiple video/audio streams can play
both simultaneously

3) Decode both streams, encode the combined videomixed stream to
something like mjpeg while displaying.

So I'm wondering, are there other options I'm not thinking of? Some of
them I'm not sure a netbook could handle. In all cases I'm not sure how
to handle the audio from each video stream. I'm not sure once reading
the resulting file if its easy to switch between the audio streams (if
necessary...)

Thoughts??

--
Nathanael d. Noblet