Understanding rtsp protocolo

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Apr 5 13:14:11 PDT 2012

**Warning**
I'm no where near an expert - some or all of the following could be wrong

----
To properly answer you need to understand that a multimedia file has two
'levels' you could say. There is the muxing (this determines the
container format) for example .mp4/.mkv/.avi/.ogg have their own
particular way to place video and audio data into the actual file.

Once you've demuxed the file into its individual stream(s) the data can
en encoded in any number of formats. For example, an mkv file can
contain h264, mjpeg, mpeg4, divx, DV, h263, theora, vp8. This determines
how the actual data is compressed.

Now when you want to watch a stream you need to demux and then decode
the data so that you have the raw images to display on a screen. However
when you want to stream, you definitely do not want to decode it.
However in the same way that a muxer determines how the encoded data is
laid out in a file, rtsp uses rtp to 'payload' which for nearly all
intents and purposes here could be interchanged with muxers. They
determine how the encoded data is sent out on the wire you could say.

So...

#1) don't decode... just demux
#2) Once demuxed you need to find a payloader that can handle the
encoded data

otherwise you are sending uncompressed data.

Hope that helps

On 04/05/2012 01:42 PM, Rossana Guerra wrote:
> If I understood you well, I need to use avidemux and then a payloader.
> I did it as my pipeline shows, so the linking to a payloader is the only
> missing?
>
> I have something
>                                 decodebin2 ------ ....some other
> artifacts......--------- queue   // for audio
> filescr ---avidemux----
>                                decodebin2 -------- ........ ----------
> queue   // for video
>
> thanks
>
> 2012/4/5 Rossana Guerra <guerra.rossana at gmail.com
> <mailto:guerra.rossana at gmail.com>>
>

>     2012/4/5 Stefan Sauer <ensonic at hora-obscura.de
>     <mailto:ensonic at hora-obscura.de>>
>
>         __
>         On 04/05/2012 03:23 AM, Rossana Guerra wrote:
>>         Hi everyone, I am very clueless about it since I didn't find
>>         so much documentation whic could help me.
>>         I need something like the *test-ogg.c* example but suited for
>>         AVI files.  In the example the following line creates the
>>         pipeline:
>>
>>         str = g_strdup_printf ("( "
>>         "filesrc location=%s ! oggdemux name=d "
>>         "d. ! queue ! rtptheorapay name=pay0 pt=96 "
>>         "d. ! queue ! rtpvorbispay name=pay1 pt=97 " ")", argv[1]);
>>
>>         1- Is the any AVI payloader?, if not, what is the way to do it?
>         You would not stream the avi as such, but demux it and playload
>         the streams inside the avi (the audio and video). For those
>         there should be payloader (e.g. mpeg4 and mp3).
>

>     Stefan thanks for your answer, could you suggest any example or reading?
>     Second, I need some control using a message hander, is this
>     possible?. I don't have idea which the pipeline is.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Rossana
>

>         Stefan
>>
>>         2- I suppose I can handle messages as usual, isn't it?.
>>
>>         I don't loose my hope for any suggestion, thanks and regards
>>
>>         Rossana

Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613