playbin2 blocks with (unreachable) rtsp source

Federico Zamperini fzamperini at tiscali.it
Fri Apr 6 02:15:26 PDT 2012

Hi,
     I use playbin2 to play a rtsp stream from an IP camera; when I set
an unreachable uri and try to play (gst_element_set_state(playbin2,
GST_STATE_PLAYING)) the player blocks the application thread until the
rtspconnection times out. I thought I would receive a
GST_STATE_CHANGE_ASYNC instead (as I do when playing a video file), and
then be notified with an  ASYNC_DONE message on the bus.

I'm using gstreamer 0.10.34

I am wondering if this is the right way to do it; is there a way not to
block the application (using some gst element property or gst different
approach)?
Or the only way to go is to start the player from an auxiliary thread?

Thank you

Federico