Change aspect ratio without transcoding?

Martijn Grendelman martijn at iphion.nl
Tue Apr 10 01:34:19 PDT 2012

On 10-04-12 03:06, Luciana Fujii wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 10:21 +0200, Martijn Grendelman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a feeling that I'm on the wrong track here, but I'm going to ask
>> anyway.
>>
>> I have a MPEG-TS, containing H.264 video, in 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd like to
>> stretch the video to 16:9. Is that possible without transcoding, perhaps
>> by only remuxing?
>
> Hi, I don't know of any element that could do that on encoded video, but
> you could make an element yourself that only changes the
> pixel-aspect-ratio.

Yes, I have been researching a way to do this.

Using the information from [1], I should theoretically be able to replace
(using some for of 'binary sed') a certain byte sequence in the stream to
get what I want. The problem was, that I haven't been able to find the
sequence header ('000001B3') in the stream I was working on, so I gave it up.

Thanks.

[1] http://dvd.sourceforge.net/dvdinfo/mpeghdrs.html

Best regards,
Martijn Grendelman