High CPU utilization with audio encoding

abue.gst.dev at googlemail.com abue.gst.dev at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 10 07:39:22 PDT 2012

I am encountering a very similar problem. When using the command "gst-launch
-v alsasrc ! mulawenc ! rtppcmupay ! fakesink silent=true" the CPU usage
raises to 97% after a while (some seconds) and drops to 0 again later (e.g.
after 60-100 seconds).
I guess the problem is somewhere in alsasrc, because a different
latency-time and buffer-time has linear influence to the cpu usage (e.g.
when using "gst-launch -v alsasrc latency-time=20000 buffer-time=400000 !
mulawenc ! rtppcmupay ! fakesink silent=true" CPU usage raised to 49% after
a while, when using "gst-launch -v alsasrc latency-time=40000
buffer-time=800000 ! mulawenc ! rtppcmupay ! fakesink silent=true" CPU usage
raised to 25% after a while...)

Does someone have a clue how to identify and solve the problem?

I am using DM6446 with TI AIC33 Audio Codec running at vendor-specific
2.6.27 kernel (based on
http://gitorious.org/linux-davinci/linux-davinci/trees/v2.6.27-davinci1 with
ALSA driver patched to cb6e2063697e91ca6983f9fe6958d20469b43641 from
alsa-kernel [2008-11-18] tree)

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17.
ASoC version 0.13.2
AIC3X Audio Codec 0.2
asoc: aic3x <-> davinci-i2s mapping ok
ALSA device list: