synchronizing textual data into a video

alth alth83 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:47:36 PDT 2012

I need to synchronize some data into a video that is being recorded from a
live stream. For example, including the time and location of each frame of
the stream and then recording it on a frame by frame basis into a video
file. This data is to be later extracted from the recorded video file.. From
what i understand, textoverlay adds text onto the video itself, and the
information can't be easily extracted apart from visually reading it off the
video. How can I go about achieving this, do I have to record the info as
another "stream" in the video apart from video and audio stream?

Also, does the video container format matters in this case, as in would it
be restricted by the video format as to whether it can store additional data
besides audio and video in the file? The video formats i'm working around on
are .mp4, .ogg and .avi.

Thanks.