RTCP related query

Zelalem Sintayehu zelalems at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 07:21:51 PDT 2012

Hi all, I am planning to develop a pipeline for streaming session switch. It is for SIP devices and I have a proxy that handles streaming requests (an intermediary b/n the client and the server). So, the idea is when a user wants to switch to a different channel, I want to create another connection but keep the first connection (paused), then after a while if the user want to go back to the paused session, I'll kill the new connection and resume. So, on the client side I'll have always one connection, but the proxy will establish different connections and feed the client on the same connection. The problem I'm assuming is that I am worried how the rtcp handlers behave on both side (client and server). When a new session is established, the proxy will send a new set of rtcp parameters to the client b/c it gets new rtcp values (of course, SIP also has refer method and the client will expect a new set of reports). So there may not be any problem. The problem will be when I get back to the paused session. Because, the server may have some statistics accumulated before the session is paused and will continue to add to those figures. So, my question is is there anyway that I can reset the rtcp parameters for the paused session so that I can use my setting. Or any other better way of solving this problem? The reason why I wanted this setup is to avoid the connection overhead from the client side and i can add new logics always.

Thank you.

- Zelalem S.
Grahamstown, SA