Play with VLC

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Wed Aug 8 07:16:32 PDT 2012

Slices are used to cut the encoded buffers into pieces that are below the
network MTU size. It is possible (I am not sure) that the default MTU size
for your H264 encoder is excessively small. If you are using RTP over
normal networks, a reasonable MTU size is 1400. You have to account for the
RTP header, also. That should reduce the number of slices per frame.
However, you should check to see how many slices your version of VLC was
compiled with just to make sure that it is reasonable. A minimum number is
30. IFrames generate a lot of slices. One problem that I see with
MPEGTS/MP2T is that it uses a block size of 188 bytes which means that you
might have problems with too many slices there (though I know it works so I
am wrong on something - someone please correct me!).

Chuck Crisler