Best approach to a retrofit ?

Andy Dwelly andy.dwelly at intellimediasystems.com
Mon Aug 13 02:03:17 PDT 2012

Hello everyone:

I'm new to GStreamer, but I've worked my way through the tutorials and I'm now reading the Application development manual, with the Plugin writer's guide next on my list. My current project is to retrofit gstreamer components to some pre-existing video processing software running on MacOSX. I'm trying to decide on the best approach to this. As far as I can tell my choice is:

1. Use playbin2 in a separate thread, but replace the osxvideosink with a brand new  plugin component that takes the frames and hands them over to the old software.

2. Use playbin2 in a separate thread, replacing osxvideosink with appsink and configuring appsink to hand over frames (not entirely sure if this is possible)

3. Create my own pipeline from scratch with a custom component or appsink at the end as above.

….I'm still reading, but if anyone has a view on the general approach I should take, I'd find it very helpful.

Andy Dwelly