Gstreamer and SIGTERM/SIGUSR2

jlancaster jeff_lancaster at msn.com
Sat Aug 18 13:18:13 PDT 2012

Here's a different question or topic:

In my Linux embedded app, using the TI 814x processor and TI's SDK, I use
callback functions from a library to control gstreamer actions such as play,
pause, record, playback, etc.

In rare instances I need to remove the app using SIGTERM. This removes the
app and the gstreamer callback library. If gstreamer is not doing anything
it all works just dandy, gstreamer functions are restored again on app start
up.

However, if I happen to be live streaming cameras while SIGTERM is executed,
then gstreamer does not go down very gracefully and I need to reboot to get
all the functionality restored.

If I used SIGUSR2 rather than SIGTERM everything goes down nicely and the
functionality is also restored. Perhaps this is my solution, to use SIGUSR2,
but it is also very curious to me.

Question: Does gstreamer use any of the system SIGxxx functions to terminate
pipelines or any other functions?

Are there any theories why a SIGTERM on our app would hang gstreamer
functions if gstreamer happens to be running?

If so, can we override those function which use SIG utilities?

-Jeff.