GSoC: Implement chapter support in more plugins (final report)

Anton Belka dark-al at ya.ru
Wed Aug 22 12:35:21 PDT 2012

Greetings to all!
This is my last report within the GSoC 2012 project. The whole summer I
spent at the computer, participating in GSoC. My friends and relatives
think that I'm crazy. :D Many acquaintances visited the sea and had a
good rest. Nevertheless I am happy and I do not feel sorry for spent
time at all. Half a year ago I couldn’t imagine that I will participate
in GSoC. I looked for the possibility to take part in any Open Source
project and occasionally came across Alexander Saprykin's article about
his participation in GSoC. I continued his project, at which he worked
in 2010. Let’s sum up my work.

What was made?
* support of TOC in gst-discoverer was added
* support of TOC in RIFF-WAVE aformat (wavparse, wavenc) was added
* TOC support in FLAC format (by flacparse, flacenc) was added
* and also a lot of little things which weren’t included in my
application

What wasn't made?
* TOC support in QTFF (qtdemux, qtmux) wasn’t added

What do I plan to do after GSoC?
* to add support of tags in wavenc (it is almost ready!)
* to add support of Smpl Chunk in wavparse (is a part of TOC)
* to add support of TOC in QTFF (qtdemux, qtmux)
* to copy support of TOC in matroska-mux (the code went out of date and
disabled)
* to add/copy support of TOC in Totem
* to find and add TOC support in other formats

What did I study?
* GLib/GObject
* GStreamer
* RIFF-WAVE format
* FLAC format
* bugzilla, git, etc

I didn't carry out all the work I planned, but I know that I made all
the rest honestly. I wasted time working not only at my proposal, but
also at other parts of GStreamer. After all the code can be improved not
only by adding new, but also by deleting the old. The purpose of GSoC is
to involve new (young) developers in Open Source and I can tell that
Google managed to do it (at least concerning me).

I want to give my huge thanks to Alexander Saprykin for his help in
writing application and spiritual support, to my mentor Sebastian Dröge
and co-mentor Stefan Kost and to all GStream community for their help.
Also many thanks to Google for such a wonderful program for students as
Google Summer of Code! I will take a break for some weeks to prepare for
the new academic year at the university, but I don't say goodbye. :)

P.S. I hope my project will be considered as successfully completed.

Translated by Svetlana Yurkevich.
--
Best regards, Anton.
http://antonbelka.com