More information about bad plugins

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 04:44:22 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 02:32 -0800, Baby Octopus wrote:

Hi,

> I understand a plugin can be bad because of the following reason(or may be
> more)
> - Not stable and buggy
> - No clear documentation
> - Code is messy and not clean
>
> Is there any resource which will tell me why a bad plugin say hlsdemux is
> bad plugin? Is it unstable or documentless code or has a messy code? I'm
> giving hlsdemux as just an example. Want to know how stable my code will be
> when I use a bad plugin in my code. Any help will be appreciated in this
> regard

There is not. However, for elements that can be autoplugged for
playback, the rank might be a hint. If it's got a rank >= MARGINAL, then
it will be autoplugged, so chances are it works reasonably well at least
most of the time. You could also check bugzilla to see what kind of
issues are reported for the element in question.

Cheers
 -Tim