Multithreaded fast-forward possible?

Peter Rennert p.rennert at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 05:35:42 PST 2012

Although in my code it does not change anything of the behaviour, I just
found the theoretical solution to my idea of skipping frames for faster
playback:

"When doing fast forward (rate > 1.0) or fast reverse (rate < -1.0)
trickmode playback, the GST_SEEK_FLAG_SKIP flag can be used to instruct
decoders and demuxers to adjust the playback rate by skipping frames.
This can improve performance and decrease CPU usage because not all
frames need to be decoded." [1]

[1]
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstEvent.html#GstSeekFlags