Clarification sought over GStreamer Documentation

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 06:41:04 PST 2012

I have studied section "8.4. Ghost pads" of "GStreamer Application
Development Manual (1.0.3)" - but I am not sure about the 'mechanics' of
the code snippet (below)

     #include <gst/gst.h>

     int
     main (int   argc,
           char *argv[])
     {
       GstElement *bin, *sink;
       GstPad *pad;

       /* init */
       gst_init (&argc, &argv);

       /* create element, add to bin */

Absolutely no problems with the code above.

       sink = gst_element_factory_make ("fakesink", "sink");

I understand that the above line is creating a new element of type
'fakesink', but I am not sure about the quoted "sink" in the
parameters.  Is that a key word (sink or src)?  Is it the name that is
to be given to something?  I am reasonably sure that it is not the name
of the object.

       bin = gst_bin_new ("mybin");
       gst_bin_add (GST_BIN (bin), sink);

       /* add ghostpad */
       pad = gst_element_get_static_pad (sink, "sink");

Again, I assume that the unquoted sink is a reference to 'our GstElement
called sink.  But again, the quoted "sink" - what is the purpose of that
parameter?  Is it referring to its relationship to the bin? or to where
it wants to link on to in "Element1" (in Figure 8.2)?

       gst_element_add_pad (bin, gst_ghost_pad_new ("sink", pad));

I get the feeling that this "sink" is the leftmost sink in the bin of
Figure 8.2.

       gst_object_unref (GST_OBJECT (pad));

Finally, I assume that once the pad has been used to link the bin's Pad
to Element1's Pad, it is no longer required and can be freed. Correct?

Is there something I should have read to understand this?

Thank you for reading this far.

Ian

Ian Davidson
--
Facts used in this message may or may not reflect an underlying
objective reality. Facts are supplied for personal use only.