gst_debug_log_valist: assertion `category != NULL' failed

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 09:37:16 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 09:28 -0800, Paddy wrote:

Hi,

> I'm getting this from a call to gst_debug_log: "gst_debug_log_valist:
> assertion `category != NULL' failed"
>
> Does anybody know what this is & how to fix it (if it's truly a problem)

It usually indicates a bug in some plugin, which is trying to log some
debug messages to a debug category that hasn't been initialized yet.

You can run your app/code with

 G_DEBUG=fatal_warnings gdb --args ./yourapp

to see where the warning comes from (it will then abort instead of
printing the warning, and you can get a stack trace).

Cheers
 -Tim