Seek functionality in neonhttpsrc

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 04:22:42 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 04:24 -0800, deepthips wrote:

> For implementing seek functionality, from some links, I could understand that
> souphttpsrc only supports seeking in bytes, not in time and there should be
> some other element in pipeline like demux to convert byte format to time
> format. Does this problem occur if we use neonhttpsrc as well.?

Yes, with most http sources, I'm aware of you can only seek over http in
byte format, i.e. seeking is only supported if the server sends
Content-Length etc. A component in the GStreamer pipeline (a demuxer or
parser, usually), will then transform the seek in TIME format to a seek
to the right BYTE position which can be sent to the server.

However, there are some cases where this doesn't work, and where a seek
in TIME needs to be sent to the http server (e.g. for a DLNA server
that's transcoding on the fly).

I'm not aware of any http sources that support that yet (would also need
demuxer support, though that should hopefully be there already for those
where that's supported, like mpeg*).

Cheers
-Tim