Lossless Codec for Gray 8-Bit and Matroska

pfarmer flacone at gmx.de
Thu Feb 2 05:52:52 PST 2012

I think there is none available. Since I was searching as well.
Matroskamux accepts the following:
video/x-raw-yuv format: { YUY2, I420, YV12, UYVY, AYUV }, video/x-huffyuv,
video/x-dirac
So just huffman and dirac compression.
The only dirac encoder I know is diracenc, which accepts only
video/x-raw-yuv format: { I420, YUY2, UYVY, AYUV }
The only huffman encoders I could find were: ffenc_ffvhuff and
ffenc_huffyuv.
Both stating as capabilities: video/x-raw-rgb, video/x-raw-yuv,
video/x-raw-gray
But none of them supporting the video/x-raw-gray streams (like your
ffenc_vhuff and ffenc_ffv1 encoders)

I would be interested also in any encoder capable for video/x-raw-gray
streams suitable also for other container formats. If anybody knows please
let me know