How to register my own plugin

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 02:05:27 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 21:31 -0800, kolanchi wrote:

> Hi Members, I am creating my own media player plugin using boilerplate
> template. I want to register my media player plugin, i dont know how
> to that, please guide me to how to register the my own plugin, Please
> explain the procedure.

There are two types of "plugins":

1) plugins that are installed somewhere as dynamic shared objects (.so
files on linux) and can be loaded at runtime as needed. This is how
almost all the common GStreamer plugins are shipped.

2) plugins that are private to a particular application and are not
installed as separate files. You can just use

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/GstPlugin.html#gst-plugin-register-static

after gst_init(), and then your plugin_init function looks like any
other plugin_init() function, only that there are no .so files and the
plugin lives in your application binary.

 Cheers
  -Tim