gstreamer threading internal

mirtexxan mirtexxan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 02:22:47 PST 2012

Again, thanks a lot.
The scheduling thread is my own invention, sorry.
Maybe my confusion originates from the various points in the documentation
where there are reference to streaming threadS - now I think that they
refers to the elements internal threads.

Just to be sure, I'd like to have your opinion on this matter. When I launch
a simple gst-launch-0.10 audiotestsrc ! identity ! alsasink, I see 4 threads
when using "top". One of course is the gst-launch application thread.
Another (called threaded-ml) I guess is the scheduling thread and the other
2 (called audiotesrc0:s) I guess are the source element internal threads. Am
I correct?

Another question: could please be a bit more specific on the "accessory"
threads generated by the gstreamer infrastracture? (the system clock thread,
etc) Are they always generated? Why aren't they visible by the "top"
application (if that's the case)? I'm particularly interested in the clock
thread.

And finally a more advanced question: what about setting core affinity in
gstreamer? Thread priority? It is possible to create special purpose element
to do the trick?

Regards,
Mirto