disabling or lowering priority of codecs system wide

Denys Rtveliashvili rtvd at me.com
Wed Jan 4 02:01:09 PST 2012

Good morning,

I was wondering if there is any way of disabling or lowering priority of codecs system wide.

For example, let's say I have ffmpeg installed and it has lots of useful video codecs, including the one for some xyz format. And I also have an alternative codec for xyz which I prefer to be used instead. How can I disable xyz support in ffmpeg (or lower its priority) so that the alternative implementation of xyz would always be used?

I saw that people sometimes mention blacklisting, but I failed to find any instructions on how exactly can codecs be blacklisted.

Of course, removing some .so file is not an option as that would remove support for other codecs which should stay enabled.

Please could you suggest a solution?

With kind regards,
Denys Rtveliashvili