Get instant bitrate from H.264 encoder ?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri Jan 6 10:21:45 PST 2012

You can use a buffer probe for this. Look at the size (in bytes) of
each buffer coming out of the encoder. You know the duration of the
frame (from the framerate, even if the buffer itself doesn't have a
duration set), so you can trivially calculate what you call the
"instant bitrate" from this.

Mike