Strange buffer-percent result

Yanov, Andrey AYanov at luxoft.com
Tue Jan 17 01:17:29 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm using GStreamer PlayBin2 element.
When downloading video (static, not live stream) from http://immortalsmovie.com/splash/index.html, I sometimes end with buffering < 100, which results in PlayBin component being paused.
At first, everything looks okay: the buffering percent goes up from 9, 19, 29, 39, 42, 51, 59 and to 67%.
Then, something odd happens. I receive a message, and when extracting percentage data by:
    const GstStructure *structure = gst_message_get_structure(message);
    gst_structure_get_int(structure, "buffer-percent", &m_bufferingPercentage);
I get value of 42%. Reminding, that PlayBin component is still in paused state.
Then, after 42% I get 50, 59, 63, 71... and 47% again.

What is the easiest way for a rookie like me to find out the truth (which is somewhere out there) about why buffering percentage drops while in paused state ?
Could you please assist me in doing that ? Should I try to get percentage from audio/video decoder ?

Thank you,
Andrey